In the programming industry like others, you will find many terms(vocabulary) which are not usual in common speech. In this article of the series about “learning how to develop web applications in the modern way”, allow me introduce to some of those terms. In case you missed reading some parts, click here to read part one or click an item in the table of contents below.
- Web design vs Web applications development
- Extending is smart!
- Components of a Web application.
- Powering web applications with WordPress
- The do list application
What is extending in programming?
In simple terms it’s the opposite of developing applications from scratch. In detail it means a coder will write his/her own application from the start to finish without using and relying on other programmers code. Therefore to extend is when a coder starts with someone’s code to develop an application or feature.
In Object Oriented Programming paradigm, to extend means to derive/instantiate objects which inherit features in terms of method and properties from existing class(es).
What are the advantages of extending?
- It makes programming a lot easier because you don’t have to write every line of code by yourself.
- It is cheaper than starting from scratch which will require a bigger team and tools for the team besides investing in the team to learn how to work together.
- Availability of help from all corners though this depends on the choice of framework. Most programmers choose a framework which has a large number of contributors, the profile of the founder, the number of tools in place and how old it is.
- Easier learning curve due to availability and supply of learning material on top of a comprehensive documentation.
- Ask me how people become better than others at coding and I will tell you that the secrete is hidden in reading code written by others whether good or bad coders.
My personal recommendation is to spend more time creating solutions than learning how to create solutions. In the upcoming part, share about the basic and major components of a Web application.
Merry Christmas and a marvelous New year.
Are these just industry terms to confuse the novice and the customer? Is the difference really worth knowing and understanding or is it a wastage of time? As we continue on the journey to learn how to do develop web applications, I thought it would be good someone clear the question before us.
What is web design?
What is Web application development?
In my opinion is the art and science of using coding to develop software that is accessible through a web browser. Though they are tools like script-case that help I.T professionals to come up with web applications, web application development requires someone to have some good coding skill to come with a fully functional web application. Examples of web developers are people capable of developing systems like facebook, linkedin and WordPress to mention but a few.
Why even care?
You may wonder, why of all things must I know about the differences between website designing and web application development. Many people’s reasons could differ from mine. I think if you want to become something, there is something that competes with what you have in mind, therefore you must ultimately pay attention because it’s very vital in helping one choose the right path sooner than later in life. Since developing a career involves investment of valuable resources… it’s always good to look at the right direction and avoid destruction.
Let’s meet next week for the next item on the agenda of How to develop web applications utilizing modern ways which is Extending is smart!
Allow me start by apologizing for missing to post in the previous week. Without further a do, let me start from where we stopped in part one of the series about learning the modern way of developing web applications.
But who am I and why do I fit to be your tutor this festive season?
I’m an African Ugandan internet student, businessman and trainer. Besides technology, I purposely encourage and guide people through the process of becoming self-aware for mindfulness and peace.
What do I need to know before following the series?
- You should also be able to find a web host to practice or alternatively install Lamp(linux) or MAMP(iOS) or WAMP or XAMPP(windows).
- Ability to install and setup WordPress.
- Lastly but not least you should be able to read and understand English.
For now get ready for next part of the series which is Web design vs Web applications development.
In that article I will share my opinion backed by 5 year experience about the differences between web design and web application development. I find this necessary because many people confuse the two.
See you next week.